Walking the Talking: Exploring how we include walking in our therapeutic practice
Explore & investigate how walking with your clients can be incorporated into your therapeutic practice and the potential benefits.
Book Now and save 10% – Pay only £85.50 (Normal Price £95.00)
Enter Code ‘Walk10’ at checkout
Early Bird Offer expires on 17th August 2020
“walking is exploring the mystery of presence”
“the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step”
Talking therapy in the 21st Century is increasingly becoming more embodied; interventions are now used to help clients step out of the chair and into movement and the open, fresh physicality of their lives. Yet this is not so new. Freud would walk with his clients around the Ring Strasse in Vienna, literally walking the talking. Clay Cockrell, founder of Walk and Talk therapy in New York sees around 40 clients a week in Central Park.
Since 2017 I have incorporated mindful walking (I have delivered over 50 workshops and three 5 day retreats in mindfulness and am a U.K. registered mindfulness trainer and supervisor) into my therapeutic practice, at times offering mindful walking, at times delivering therapy and supervision whilst walking. The feedback has been entirely positive.
In this 6 hour experiential CPD we will be exploring how we might do just that: go for a walk with our clients and investigate how we might develop this further in the context of our therapeutic practice, with reference to therapy, mindfulness, neuroscience and current embodied thinking.
This workshop will explore
- The issue of just sitting and our somewhat sedentary culture
- The benefits of walking, physiological, psychological, neurological and psychospiritual
- The 3 domains of walking: prepersonal, personal and transpersonal
- The practicalities: how long is a good walk? Might it just be built into a session?
- Professional issues around walking: ethics, limits and good shoes
- Urban or rural?
- The philosophers of walk: Whitman, Nietzsche, Rimbaud, Thoreau
- Walk with Me, a film by Thich Nhat Hanh
- The poetry of walking
- Walking and talking
- Breathing and walking
- Walking sticks
- Mindful walking
- Forest bathing
- The fork in the road: embodied dilemmas
- Walking with a higher power
- Compassionate walking
- The walk less travelled: resilience walking
- Walking with…loss, anger, jealousy
- Postwalk reflections
- Supervision and walking
…and yes, we will be doing some walking around Jesmond, so bring good shoes, water and a coat
This workshop is facilitated by Graeme Armstrong and provides 6 hours of CPD.
Please note, our training room is on the first floor and is accessed by stairs. If you have any special requirements, or if you need to advise us of anything before booking or attending the training, then please contact us.