Justin Havens is an EMDR trained psychological therapist accredited by the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and EMDR UK and Ireland Association. Justin is also chair of the Near West EMDR Regional Group. He currently works in private practice in Cheltenham and is writing up his PhD which developed and evaluated the PDI approach with UK veterans. Previously, he has been an Army Officer, Manufacturing Engineer, Production Manager and a Management Consultant.
Justin is dedicated in relieving psychological distress, such as stress, depression or anxiety, as well as behaviours such as addictions, compulsions or relationship and sleep issues. Following his early career in the military, Justin has a particular interest in treating veterans with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
After his careers in the military and in commerce, Justin retrained in a field where his sole aim is to relieve psychological distress in others. This distress can take many forms, and usually manifests itself as stress, depression or anxiety and problem behaviours such as addictions, compulsions or relationship and sleep issues. Identifying, understanding and treating the root causes of these symptoms can lead to personal change that is transformational and long lasting. He works as an integrative therapist, which means that he draws on approaches from a number of traditions, including a powerful and evidence based therapy called Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR). This is an internationally approved treatment for all kinds of psychological trauma arising from accidents, assaults and natural disasters, to the traumas that may be experienced in childhood.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Accredited by the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
- Foundation degree in Therapeutic Counselling – awarded Distinction
- BA (Hons) degree in Integrative Counselling – awarded 1st Class Honours
- Trained in EMDR Part 1-3 and 2 yrs+ experience working in NHS providing trauma treatment
- Member UK and Ireland EMDR Association
- Member UK Psychological Trauma Society
- Facilitated a trauma support group for a Cheltenham based charity called Suicide Crisis.
- Experience working within the NHS 2gether Mental Health Trust, a charitable counselling agency and in private practice.