Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Insomnia (CBTi)
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Insomnia (CBTi) is the NHS recommended treatment for people with insomnia and should be used before sleeping tablets are prescribed. Research has shown that most people with insomnia benefit from CBTi approaches and that CBTi provides lasting relief from the distressing symptoms of insomnia.
The therapeutic approach examines: behaviour; the environment; and cognition (they way we think and feel about things – sleep in this instance) in order to improve sleep and to reduce feelings of tiredness, fatigue, poor performance and compromised relationships.
The aim of the treatment is to improve sleep to the extent that the ‘poor sleeper’ no longer experiences prolonged wakefulness during the night, and the associated negative daytime consequences of not sleeping well.
What does the Therapy involve?
Following a brief assessment session with the therapist, the first session begins and is followed by up to 6 hour-long sessions.
The process of the therapy will provide detailed information of how sleep works in humans, and then examine environmental and behavioural factors that might be impacting negatively on sleep, before progressing onto the more cognitive (thoughts and feelings) elements of the client’s insomnia. The amount of therapeutic time spent on each of these elements is tailored to the individual requirements of each client.
What are the Benefits?
The benefits of following a course of CBTi for those with sleep problems include the following:
- The method has been extensively researched and there is a well established empirical evidence-base for its effectiveness.
- The NHS recommends CBTi as the treatment of choice for people with insomnia.
- CBTi has been shown to be effective for most people with insomnia, and even for those who have not slept well for very many years.
- CBTi is a cost-effective and health-promoting treatment approach in that it can be delivered relatively quickly and helps the client to avoid taking sleeping medications that can be addictive and cause daytime sleepiness.
- The major benefit is that most clients experience improved sleep and regain a quality of life that that might not have enjoyed for a long time.
Assessment – 50 minutes £80.00
Follow up sessions – 50 minutes £50.00 – £120.00
Booking and Cancellation
Full payment for your first therapy session will be taken in advance, at the time of booking.
As our appointments are in high demand, we require at least 48 hours notice to cancel your appointment.
Where 48 hours or more notice has been given, your session fee will be refunded less a cancellation fee of £15.00.
Where less than 48 hours notice is given, the session will be charged in full and there will be no refund
Confidential, discreet services with qualified experienced therapists in Newcastle Upon Tyne
Counselling / Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) / Psychotherapy / Emotional Support / Supervision
Individual / Couple / Family / Child
Enquire about Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Insomnia (CBTi)
For information about our Cancellation Policy please click here